Embryo Transfer FAQ
- How safe is the embryo transfer procedure for my mare?
The procedure is very safe. No surgery or general anesthesia is needed. The mare receives only mild sedation to ensure safety for her as well as the staff.
- How long does the procedure take?
The transfer of the embryo usually takes about 30 minutes. Please see The Process section for further information.
- How much does EquiTransfer charge?
The details of cost are explained in the contract. Please click here to view the contract in PDF format.
- Who takes care of the recipient mare?
The owner of the embryo takes care of the recipient mare and assumes all the expenses related to her care until the foal is weaned and she is returned to EquiTransfer.
- Will the foal inherit any characteristics from the recipient mare?
No. The foal will only inherit the genetic characteristics of its genetic parents.
- Can I provide my own recipient mare?
Yes, but she must be between three and seven years old and undergo a reproductive exam by Dr. Dávila before an embryo will be implanted.